Tell Congress: Grow More Organic!

The Problem: America is Too Reliant on Imports to Meet Growing Demand for Organic Food

Despite the rapid growth of the organic sector and the price premiums enjoyed by organic farmers, U.S. production of organic food has significantly lagged behind consumer demand.

The gap between supply and demand means many American organic food companies must turn to foreign suppliers to meet demand for staples like soybeans, corn and rice. It also means American farmers are missing the chance to boost their incomes and reduce the impact of farming on the environment.

The Solution: With a Few Small Changes We Can Help More Farmers Transition to Organic

Organic agriculture preserves biodiversity, improves soil health, can significantly boost farmer incomes and saves energy – all the while saving American farmland from getting buried under tons of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. But less than 1 percent of our farmland is dedicated to growing organic crops.

If we helped more farmers and ranchers transition to organic, we’d not only protect the environment – we’d also make organic food grown in the U.S. more accessible for everyone, while at the same time expanding market opportunities for U.S. farmers and ranchers.

What You Can Do: Contact Your Members of Congress!

A bill recently introduced by Rep. Ann Kuster, D-N.H. and Sen. Bob Casey, D-PA, would help close the gap by providing more American farmers with the tools they need to make the transition to organic farming.

The Homegrown Organic Act of 2017 (H.R. 3637 and S. 2215) would modify existing voluntary agricultural conservation programs to better assist producers who want to switch to organic. The simple changes called for in the bill will provide transitioning producers with valuable technical and financial assistance, as well as make more farmland available to producers wanting to farm organically.

Use the following form to contact your members of Congress now and urge them to support the Homegrown Organic Act of 2017 (H.R. 3637 and S. 2215):